Monday, September 29, 2014

Front Door: What Color?

So the siding is up at Wise Road and we have chosen a paint color (Benjamin Moore's Swiss Coffee). I will post pictures as soon as it is painted. Meanwhile, the finances are a bit tighter than expected due to inevitable unexpecteds, so some less essential projects have been put on the back burner. We were planning to buy a new (old) door from our local architectural salvage, but we have decided to wait on this. The current door is new but cheep and unappealing. However, it will serve for a while. Since this door is only temporary I have leave to choose any paint color I want!

Here are some of my ideas.

1. Brilliant Blue. You see this color all the time in the UK. I love it. I've always sworn that I'll have a door like this some day. It looks so lovely with the ancient stone, yes? However, I'm not sure it will look as good with white clapboard. ???

blue front door

2. Or there is Pale Blue.

A pale blue paint with gold accents freshens any front door. Topiaries add color.

3. And Smokey Sagey Blue like this classic Farrow and Ball color:

soft sage door, for that chic country house

4. Or how about going toward the greener side of sage? (Fantastic wisteria included, of course.)



5. Or if we like green how about this?

green doors | 15 Green Front Door Designs That Inspire » Photo 4

6. And if we are thinking bright, what about classic Red?

red-front-door.jpg (500×750)

7. Or less classic Yellow!

Transitional Entry by LDa Architecture & Interiors

8. Though sometimes I find myself going in the opposite direction--towards monotone White on White.

white clapboard...by the beach. #classicamericanhomes

9. Or this white, which is just Off White, White Towards Sage?

Exterior Masonry - Choosing Paint Finishes with Farrow & Ball  White front door, white house

10. And then, to appease the four-year-old girls in the family, here are a few selections of Pink doors (which I must admit I like more than I thought I would!)

Luscious pink front door white house blossom - mylusciouslifeblush & pink front doors

Any thoughts?

My conclusion after writing this post is that ANY color looks good if you add a historic home in England and some antique brass fittings. And a topiary. Don't forget the topiary.


2 comments:

  1. love this post. topiary and old stone. i came to the exact same conclusion after painting our historic front door a warm pine green. our new england white siding looked away after commenting, "meh", and shrugging. thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at all those pictures you posted, I don't think I would go white or red, the blues and light greens really make the house stand out. In fact, the lighter greens match so many paint colors that I think that we are going to go with that color this year. It looks clean and it will hide the dirt.

    Earl Mark @ Eastway Lock

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

A