Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What Can a Four-year-old Do?



Four years ago today I went into labor, signed a contract on a house, watched an episode of Jeeves and Wooster (thank you Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie), and then toodled over to the hospital to meet my first child. Harriet Paloma--I cannot believe you are Four. You are becoming a little lady, a good companion, an interesting conversationalist, an aid and support for your mother, a woman of character.



Remembering the first few weeks of your life, the first few weeks when I struggled to learn how to become a mother, I am in awe of who you are becoming. I am amazed at what you can do! You have reached the point where you are actually helpful! I told you so the other day. So we decided to compile a list in honor of the day: "Things Four-year-olds Can Do" ("all by myself," you added).

Things Four-Year-Olds Can Do (All By Myself)

1. Open the door for her mommy when her hands are full.
2. Listen to a chapter book.
3. Use the bathroom (almost) without help
4. Dress herself
5. Hold Mommy's coffee while she puts the baby in the car (so helpful!)
6. Obey Promptly
7. Set the Table
8. Keep the baby away from "choking hazards"


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

A