Thursday, November 6, 2014

House Tour: The Master Bedroom

Today is the first installment of my Deep Clean House Tour!

As I embarked upon my cleaning journey I was unsure where to begin. Which room was worthy to initiate this grand endeavor? I firmly believe that each house has a spiritual/emotional center, the location of its “soul.” This room should remain, in any home, impeccably clean, welcoming, etc. because the life-force of the home flows from it. My first task, I decided, was to find this “center” in my own house. 

Many would argue that, in most homes, this center of the home, and indeed the center of family life, is the kitchen. And indeed, as someone who places a high emphasis on physical nourishment and good fellowship in good feasting, I was tempted to start my Deep Clean in the kitchen. In fact, the great cleaning Authority over at FlyLady insists that a clean and happy home begins with an immaculate (polished!) sink.

However, I have been reading this book, written by my beloved Auntie Leila. She, wise woman that she is, locates the “center” of the home not in the kitchen but—in the Master Bedroom.

Why? Just think. We are Catholic after all, and we hold a very sacramental view of family life, and the family finds its source and strength in the sacrament of marriage—and more specifically, in the marriage bed!

(Are you blushing?)

But seriously. The marriage bed is *literally* the “source of life” in the family home. For if it weren’t for the sacrament of marriage which is, of course, enacted *in bed!* there would be no family at all. 

(Where did all these kids come from anyway?!?)

So if I believe this about marriage, shouldn’t I treat this room, of all rooms, with great reverence? Shouldn’t my CHILDREN treat this room, of all rooms, with great reverence? If it weren't for this room, they wouldn't exist. 

And the Bible says, if you recall, that children should “Honor their father and mother and not leave legos and tiny plastic people on the floor beside their bed, lest their hoary and revered parents step upon them  and injure themselves in the night and thus bring ruin and shame upon their descendants even unto the seventh generation,  Etc.”

I have thought it over and decided that, indeed, this room should be set aside. So. No toys are allowed in our bedroom. No iphones or computers cross the threshold. I make the bed (almost!) every day, and establish order in this place before I attempt to establish it anywhere else. After all this, it seems only logical to begin my deep clean here.

So without further ado here 'tis:








Now I will be all design-bloggy and give you sources:

The bedspread and bedskirt are from Anthropologie.
The pillows are made from vintage kimonos and purchased at Black Bamboo.
The “El Espiritu” print is from Hammer Press (purchased while I was in labor with Hattie).
The nativity scene is Mexican. I have had it since I can remember. (Used to have more shepherds!)
The painting on the mantle is an antique station of the cross salvaged from a church and purchased by Devin for our anniversary.
The Chinese horse Devin bought for me in China while we were dating.
The sketched portrait is by local artist Paulina Everett
The two small paintings of roses are by Devin’s grandmother.
The rug is also from Devin’s grandmother, purchased while she lived in Afghanistan in the fifties.
The English antique chest and pedestal table (bedside tables) were my grandmother’s.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and very good point! My cleaning regimen rarely goes beyond the kitchen, and although I am a) not married and b) not Catholic, I would love for my bedroom to be more a place of rest, rather than a large closet with an unkempt bed in the corner. (Being single, I tend to justify this because it's only my room, but nonetheless, it could --and should-- be a much more beautiful room!) I love all the heritage in your bedroom--pieces of places you and Devin or family members have been. Thanks for the tour!
    P.S. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read! Love the side table, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

A